Save Our Sight
Stratus saving sight through flight…
Save Our Sight is Stratus’s aim of helping treat preventable blindness within developing countries worldwide.
There are at least 285 million people visually impaired around the world, with 39 million suffering from blindness and 246 having low vision.
80-90% of the world’s visually impaired live within developing countries, with inadequate access to medical eye treatment. 75-80% of those affected with visual problems can be treated or cured.
Stratus is committed to providing access to eye treatment within developing countries.
Our aim is to reduce the number of people turning blind from a treatable, preventable and curable blindness.
Save Our Sight will operate within India, Jamaica and Vietnam for the first two years from November 2013.
Our goal is to treat as many curable eye disease suffers within these regions as is possible while we are there and reduce the number of people turning blind from their specific eye disease.
Save Our Sight treats the following eye diseases:
- Cataract – accounts for 51% of the total world’s blindness, affecting 20 million people worldwide.
- Trachoma- One of the oldest infectious eye diseases, which affects 21 million people. Trachoma is responsible for 3% of total blindness around the world.
- Vitamin A deficiency- 250,000 to 450,000 children suffer from Vitamin A deficiency within developing countries. Children lose their sight because of the deficiency and around 50% of those affected go on to die within 12 months of losing their sight.
Stratus is creating a long term solution with local medical professionals within the regions we help tackle blindness. Stratus will:
Offer training to medical professionals from highly qualified Stratus medical volunteers so they know how to treat eye related diseases.
- Access to Highly qualified Stratus medical volunteers at any time through live video chat with them, once we have left their region. This means we are always on hand to assist them with eye treatment.
- Stratus future training programme will donate vital eye training material enabling the next generation of medical professionals in the regions we operate within sufficient training to treat eye diseases.
- Stratus will donate essential medical eye equipment and medicines to local clinics, enabling sight saving treatment to be continued even after we have left.
Stratus wants to help fight preventable blindness worldwide as everyone should be given access to the gift of sight. It does not take much to help restore sight to those who suffer from a disease which is treatable and stops them from losing their sight.
Our aim is to treat curable diseases within children, adults and families, simple, easy treatment with lifelong benefits…
Using your old worn glasses
In July 2013 we began a campaign to collect over 1000 pairs of glasses from members of the public to help improve sight worldwide. With the view of helping 1000 people, giving the gift of sight – the greatest gift of all.
We want to help collect used glasses so that we can transport them to some of the poorest regions on earth, where the people living here don’t have access to sufficient eye treatment. Often leading them to living a life with poor vision.
The glasses are given to them for free of charge and from the moment they put them on, their lives change forever. Before receiving the glasses many of the people just had to get on with the lives, knowing that they could not improve their situation.
Stratus is improving vision and helping those with sight problems around the world, we are changing sight through flight.